Peace begins from within our own minds and inside our own homes
Our Philosophy & Vision
- When you are at peace with yourself, you are at peace with other
- When you take care of yourself, you can also be there for others
- When you are at peace with yourself, you can work with the collective on holding stakeholders accountable and improve the life quality and life trajectory of vulnerable communities
- Anti-discriminatory; intersectional; inclusive
- Human dignity: adjusting state services and civil society to the different needs of communities and its members in light of political, economic, and social modalities of production and reproduction
- Social services: bottom-up or community-led approach; creating social infrastructures oriented at the needs of the local communities; creating access to educational and socio-economic mobility through capacity building
- Decreasing dependencies, fostering self-determination: harm reduction and sustainable socio-political transformation through mindfullness; mental health care; psychosocial support networks, initiatives and long-term self-help groups; political and social education; access to affordable mental and physical health care
Background on PoMA
POMA is a 501 (c) (3) non-profit that seeks to provide a range of services including specialist mental health and psychological support services for at-risk populations, in particular trauma-related, for people with and without special needs; affected by gender and children’s rights, politics and social welfare. We are female led and have decades of cumulative expertise in the fields of gender mainstreaming as well as MHPSS and social services.
Due to the recent crisis in Afghanistan, we are shifting our focus beyond the country, expanding our reach to regions our consultants have considerable experience and knowledge within. By providing our child protection services and MHPSS to vulnerable communities globally, we seek to mitigate the effects of instability and trauma.
Some of POMA partners are
POMA works with NGOs and IOs
Simultaneously, POMA works with NGOs and IOs through its Mental Health Working Group or as sector stakeholders. In the private sector, POMA cooperates with businesses in the national and international telecommunication industry enabling access to latest technologies to facilitate and manage internally human resources as well as for virtual teaching and training purposes and counselling sessions.
Since 2018, POMA has been building a platform of actors from the government, not-for-profit and private sectors all united around a core set of values, including improving mental and physical wellbeing, and ensuring protection from physical, psychological and sexual harm. In order to achieve this, POMA has been engaged in trainings and capacity building focusing on specific issues such as sexual harassment in the workplace, dealing with mental health, providing psychological first aid, amongst others.
Furthermore, POMA fosters an extensive transnational and interdisciplinary network of researchers and practitioners specialized in Afghanistan Studies with an emphasis on Psychology as well as Mental Health Care and Psychosocial Support; Gender and Sexuality Studies; Historiography; Geopolitics and Geoeconomics; Disability Studies; War Studies and Development Studies.